Cae Hir is a long strip of land south of the Cambrian Main Line about 45ft wide stretching from the Farm level crossing to the Cut. It was originally purchased by the Welsh Highland Railway to build a road from the Cambrian Station to Portmadoc New (1923) station. The road was never built. Cae Hir was purchased by the WHR Ltd in 1990.
Initial clearance took place after Christmas 2005. During Civil's Week in 2007 a security fence fronting the lane was installed. The following week Network Rail installed a security fence along the boundary between Cae Hir and their Main Line.
Cae Hir is now used for overflow parking for Gelert's Farm Works and storage.