|Photo: Martin Ellis|
|Built By|| Winson Engineering, Penrhyndeudraeth|
based on a design by Robert Hudson Ltd
|Seating||24 - Third Class|
Built 1992 but originally authorised 1972
In 1923 the Festiniog Railway purchased six open "Toastrack" carriages from Robert Hudson Ltd of Leeds. They were numbered 37 to 42. Although brand new, they were identical in design to coaches supplied by Hudson to the War Department, for use on the military railways. Bought by, and for the FR, they were also used on the WHR. They were not successful and most were converted to flat wagons, mainly on the WHR, by the end of the 1920's.
The Festiniog Railway currently has three open carriages. These are added to service trains in good weather, to offer passengers an alternative to travelling in a closed carriage. The open carriages are usually placed immediately behind the locomotive. WHHR also has an example, Carriage 42.
Carriage 39 is essentially a replica of one of the Hudson carriages and was built by Winson Engineering at Penrhyndeudraeth in 1992, using some original parts including the frame and running gear from Wagon 73 (ex FR EAG 1970, originally supplied to Leighton Buzzard Lt Rly in 1923 by Gloster C.& W. Co.). Originally standard FR Red and Cream, in 2003 it was re-painted in the "Colonel Stephens" livery of green with red ends. Wire mesh doors were also added for safety reasons, in place of the original chains. It has now been downgraded from 32 to 24 seats - passengers have increased in girth of late years.
The interior of 39 is painted in cream and fitted with lights for use in the FR tunnels. Note also the cross pieces in the roof.
The doors have curved details to match the quadrants on the side panels.