Spooner Family

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to: navigation, search

The FR owes much of its existence to the work of the Spooners: James, his son Charles Easton and his grandson George Percival (Percy), who were closely associated with the engineering (both civil and mechanical) and management of the Festiniog Railway.

This list, (non exhaustive) just lists certain of the known members of the family. For more information see individual entries where available

  1. John Spooner (Senior) 1723 - 1800
    1. John Spooner (Junior) 1752 - 1803
      1. Samuel Spooner
    2. Mary Spooner 1754
    3. Thomas (of Powick) Spooner 1756 - 1803
      1. Thomas
      2. Elizabeth d 1854 (=John Smith Soden d 1863)
        1. Thomas Spooner Soden b 1838 (Big FR Shareholder) (=Henrietta b 1827)
          1. Athelstan J.S. b 1851(?)
          2. Arthur H.S. b 1858(?)
          3. Harcourt J. 1860(?)
          4. unknown b 1861(?)
          5. Henrietta Josephine b? d? infant
          6. Reginald William b? d? infant
      3. James 1790 - 1856
        1. Mathew 1814 - 1834
        2. James Swinton 1816 - 1884
        3. Caroline 1817 - 1829
        4. Charles Easton 1818 - 1889
          1. John Eyri
          2. James Alfred
          3. Mary Elizabeth
          4. Charles Edwin
          5. George Percival (Percy)
        5. Louisa Matilda 1820 - 1886
        6. Thomas John (Solicitor) 1822 - 1881
        7. Amelia (Amy) 1824 - 1922
        8. Elizabeth 1827 - 1912
        9. Harriet 1830 - 1914
          1. Nora
        10. William 1834 - 1870

The Spooners lived in Maentwrog between 1818 & 1824 when they moved to Wm. Madocks' former home, Tanyrallt, later moving to Morfa Lodge, Portmadoc. Charles Easton lived at Tuhwnt’rbwlch, Portmadoc at the time of his father's death (or soon after) but may have used Morfa Lodge as an office for a short while. Later still he moved into Bron-y-garth, overlooking Portmadoc harbour. After his death his sons Charles Edwin & George Percival lived there for a while before it was sold Randal Casson, a local solicitor.

An attempt by the late Dan Wilson to record the information to hand at that time, tracing from 1736 to 1977, appeared in the society magazine. Further research has been undertaken, and it only warrants minor corrections and additions


FRM-77-21-r.gif


The Spooner's involvement in the establishment of the FR is recognised by the current name of the café and bar at Harbour station - Spooner's .

(Information adapted from The Spooner Album - Adrian Gray and from Archery & Spoonerisms by Michael Lewis, HG Journal 52 p4) & FRM

See also[edit]