|15th May 1960|
|Previous Station||Tan y Bwlch|
|Previous Location||Creuau Bank|
|Status||Tunnel, in use|
|Next Location||Coed Y Bleiddiau Halt|
NGR:SH657413 Lat / Long :52.95260 / -3.99924
Garnedd Tunnel is located approximately half a mile east of Tan y Bwlch station.[route 1] Prior to 1851, the year it was constructed, the line veered round the outside of the bluff through which the tunnel was cut.
The 1836 route is still just visible, being the path used by PW staff to avoid being caught by trains in the tunnel. Though overgrown, it is possible to see the start and end from the current track.
The tunnel is approximately 180 feet long. The tunnel is lined only for the first 5 yards from the tunnel mouth though maintenance and enlargement have necessitated a few sections where brick has been laid to strengthen it. There is a geographical fault line that runs across the tunnel. The 10 mph speed restriction is to minimise the chance of causing the fault to move.
This tunnel is one of the main restrictions for the loading gauge of the line (the eaves of the carriage roofs). One day a second man decided to go through the tunnel with his hand on the roof of Upnor Castle. He came out the other end with no skin on his knuckles - it is that tight!