From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group

This 4wDM Ruston & Hornsby locomotive (Builder's number 175414 of 1936) was the first locomotive to arrive at the WHR(P) site, in May 1974, but it did not remain for long.

It arrived at Porthmadog from Moel Tryfan slate quarry near Nantlle, having come there from the neighbouring Cilgwyn Quarry in the 1938-40 period.

The locomotive went to dealer Alan Keef in Oxfordshire around the end of 1974 and by February 1985 it was at the Vale of Teifi Railway in Dyfed. It is now at the Welsh Slate Museum in Llanberis and has been restored to working order, minus the large cab which it had carried earlier in its preserved career.[1]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ Bradley, Vic (1993) [1992]. Industrial Locomotives of North Wales. London: Industrial Railway Society. ISBN 0-9010-9672-5. OCLC 27769657.