This month's featured picture
The Moelwyn Tunnel takes the Ffestiniog Railway's Llyn Ystradau Deviation through the hills between Dduallt and Tanygrisiau. Work started on 1st September 1975, breakthrough being achieved on 1st May 1976. It was finished in 1977, although work continued the following winter to "Shotcrete" the inside to hold the cracked rock.
Construction of the new stone tunnel portals began in November 2018, with the North end stone portal unveiled in March 2019 for the start of regular service. The South end portal is surrounded with scaffolding as works continue to take place.
The photo shows Palmerston posing at new portal in April 2019.
Photo credit: Alastair Littlewood.
Rules for Contributions
The rules for contributions are simple:
- Do not post copyright material unless you have permission from the copyright owner
- Do not post personal details of living individuals (address, telephone number, email address, etc.) unless you have their permission to do so
- Keep on topic - you can put anything you want on your user pages but articles should be about the Ffestiniog Railway or related subjects
- Be courteous
- Do not delete anything unless it needs to be deleted
- Where possible please record the sources of your information
- Please record a comment on the change you have made in the box at the bottom of the page
- No obscene language
- Abusive or libellous postings are banned
If you want to notify us of a possible copyright infringement, please use the Contact Us option in the box in the top left of the page.
We have voluntary editors that look after Festipedia. They can be contacted via email or by using their User pages. Response may not be immediate, but they will reply, as long as you leave a contact point!!