This month's featured picture
On Tuesday 19th May 1964, the famous railway artist Terence Cuneo visited the Festiniog Railway to make sketches and take photographs for what was to become a well known painting of trains passing at Tan y Bwlch. It was carefully staged with Linda waiting at the top points with an up train while Merddin Emrys arrives with a down train. As the line above Tan y Bwlch was still awaiting re-opening in 1964, this was seen as symbolic of the FR Co.'s resolve to continue with the re-opening of the line. The resulting painting was used for advertising posters, timetable posters and sold for £1 to the general public.
The artist (wearing the light coloured raincoat) can just be seen on Linda's footplate with the General Manager, Allan Garraway.
Photo credit: Ron Fisher
Rules for Contributions
The rules for contributions are simple:
- Do not post copyright material unless you have permission from the copyright owner
- Do not post personal details of living individuals (address, telephone number, email address, etc.) unless you have their permission to do so
- Keep on topic - you can put anything you want on your user pages but articles should be about the Ffestiniog Railway or related subjects
- Be courteous
- Do not delete anything unless it needs to be deleted
- Where possible please record the sources of your information
- Please record a comment on the change you have made in the box at the bottom of the page
- No obscene language
- Abusive or libellous postings are banned
If you want to notify us of a possible copyright infringement, please use the Contact Us option in the box in the top left of the page.
We have voluntary editors that look after Festipedia. They can be contacted via email or by using their User pages. Response may not be immediate, but they will reply, as long as you leave a contact point!!