From this month's featured article
The Simplex (officially the Simplex tractor) also known as Mary Ann is a small petrol locomotive operating on the Ffestiniog Railway. Originally built for the trench railways of the First World War the Simplex tractor arrived on the FR in 1923 where it was used for shunting work. In 1954 it became the first locomotive to work on the revived FR and for many years remained an important member of the FR works fleet. It was retired from front line service after the acquisition of more powerful diesel locomotives and has recently been restored, initially to '50s condition, and more recently to First World War condition.
The loco was not originally named when she arrived at the FR and was known as 'The Simplex'. Later it acquired the nickname Mary-Ann which later became official as 'Mary Ann' (without hyphen). The nickname came from Connie Garraway, Allan's mother, who used the name (usual in the early C20) as meaning a housemaid or maid-of-all-work.
Contributing to Festipedia
Festipedia is a collaboratively edited website. All users can edit any page. You have complete freedom to add to, edit or delete the work of previous authors.
It is easy to create new pages, link to wiki pages and format the text on pages. There is a full help system so that you can find out how to do things. You will find it similar to Wikipedia.There is a recent changes page listing all pages that have changed recently. There is also a discussion page where contributors can discuss possible changes to Festipedia, as well as a discussion page for each article.
First time visitors
If this is your first visit to Festipedia you may find it useful to log in first. That will allow you to set up your username and decide how certain features should work. All contributors to Festipedia are encouraged to log in. If you know little or nothing about the Festiniog Railway then History of the FR is a good place to start. You can also choose from the list in the banner at the head of this page.
Rules for contributions
- Do not post copyright material unless you have permission from the copyright owner
- Do not post personal details of living individuals (address, telephone number, email address, etc.) unless you have their permission to do so
- Keep on topic - you can put anything you want on your user pages but articles should be about the Ffestiniog Railway or related subjects
- Be courteous
- Do not delete anything unless it needs to be deleted
- Where possible please record the sources of your information
- Please record a comment on the change you have made in the box at the bottom of the page
- No obscene language
- Abusive or libellous postings are banned
If you want to notify us of a possible copyright infringement, please use the Contact Us option in the box in the top left of the page.
We have voluntary editors that look after Festipedia. They can be contacted via email or by using their User pages. Response may not be immediate, but they will reply, as long as you leave a contact point!!