John Wilson

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Born Portmadoc in 1887. (1884 according to Alexander J (2017).[1]

The 1911 census shows him as a Blacksmith living at 46, Snowdon Street. NUR records show him joining the union in 1915 whilst working for the FR.

We are not certain we have found him in 1901 but he might have previously been a Coachbuilder.

Joined FR 27th August 1904 and a striker at Boston Lodge in 1914. Tried to join up on 25th January 1915 but rejected. Joined 4th Royal Welsh Fusiliers 22nd March 1916 but discharged on medical grounds on 17th May 1916 and returned to FR striker role on 22nd May 1916 but was conscripted on 12th July 1917 after a further medical. Returned to FR on 3rd March 1919 and continued to live at 46 Snowdon Street continuing to work at Boston Lodge until January1939.

Census Entry for 1911[edit]

An entry has been found for this person at 46, Snowdon Street, Portmadoc
where the year of birth is recorded as: 1887 in Portmadoc
The occupation given is: Blacksmith

John Wilson is possibly the person in the photo known as Boyd26H. (click here to see) This photo is labelled "A Group taken in the Works Yard before the First War". It is believed to be around 1913. It is not all staff from the yard at that time. There was a list attached to the original which declares who the people are. This person is believed to be in the fourth row from the back and the seventh person from the left handside.


  1. ^ Alexander, J(2017) Ffestiniog Railway Heritage Group Journal No. 131 Autumn 2017, Festiniog Railway - Military Matters, page 27.