No 2 Machine Shop
The building now known as No 2 Machine Shop was the original Foundry of the site, dating from 1848 and used as such until 1939. From 1970 it was used as a second machine shop but in recent years has only been used for informal storage. In recent planning documents the Company refers to it as the Foundry (H4).
|No 2 Machine Shop formerly Foundry|
|Location||Boston Lodge on the east side of the Top Yard on the south side of the Blacksmith's Shop.|
|T. Corner ID||BL012|
|Heritage Status||Grade 2 listed. All works that materially effect its character will require Listed Building Consent.|
|Historical significance||Highly significant. This building was part of the first Boston Lodge manufactory built in 1848. The foundry ceased work when the adjacent Engine and Boiler House burnt down in January 1939. In 1970 it became No 2 Machine Shop.|
|Cadw Blg ID||14412. Cadw listing includes the Blacksmiths Shop (FR No 99). Cadw text as follows:-
This range is amongst the first to be built after the opening of the railway in 1836, its function being essential to the building of rolling stock. Interior. The interior of the iron foundry retains deep brackets in one wall indicating position of the cupola hood. At rear are lateral chimneys and segmental arches into deep lean-to chambers. Exterior. Built of local slatey rubble with corrugated iron roof and wide eaves, bracketed to gable end. 4-bay iron foundry has voussoir-arched openings, 3 of which are filled in to base and given small-pane windows but the left hand one retains boarded door. Stepped back to left is 5-bay, slate-roofed, smithy which has similar round-arched openings of which alternate ones remain open as split boarded doors while the rest are converted, as in the foundry, into windows. Railway track at front with turntables to either end. Reason for Listing. Listed as part of this especially complete example of a C19 railway engineering works which has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway. Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge.
|Description||Solid stone walls under a duo pitched roof covered with asbestos cement sheets. Internally open to the roof.|
|Present use||Storage of miscellaneous items of parts and machinery|
|Previous use||Foundry then No 2 Machine Shop.|
|Condition||The building is generally sound but there are repairs and reinstatements needed to the roof structure, walls and rainwater disposal|
|Urgent and Immediate Repairs required||The following repairs are urgently required:-
|Less urgent repairs||A summary of the repairs required are as follows
|Improvements needed||The following works go beyond 'repairs'.
|Potential alternative uses||The future use of this building is included within a larger scheme of conservation works to reinstate the buildings of the Top Yard. Current plans (2020) are to conserve it as a historic area for display and demonstrations.|
Sliding door to Front elevation July 2013 Note flaking paint - see article on linseed oil paint which does not weather in this way. Flaking paint can trap moisture and lead to rot which can be avoided by more regular repainting or use of linseed oil paint.