A standard gauge Matisa track tamper built by Matisa Industrielle SA, Lausanne, Switzerland and acquired by the FR in 1968. It was delivered to the FR (Porthmadog) on 17th February 1968.
This was one of the early Matisa designs and was delivered to the Southern Region of BR in 1956, where it was numbered DS73 in Departmental Stock. Sold to Thomas W Ward Ltd in 1968 as scrap, it was sold on to the FR and subsequently rebuilt and regauged at Boston Lodge to suit the FR's needs by volunteer engineer Steve Coulson, aka. Stefco, entering service on the FR in 1978.
In June 2000, during WHR (C) Phase 2 construction, it was temporarily moved to the Cae Wernlas Ddu tracklaying base. It was not suited to tamping on the steepest gradients but was used on the more easily-graded approach to Waunfawr before being returned to the FR.
Some interesting information on the history of Matisa tampers can be found at Ron King's site.
- Mitchell V (2002) Festiniog: 50 years of Enterprise, Middleton Press, Midhurst, GU29 9AZ, UK. caption 19.