This page deals with FR coaching stock in the preservation era - many vehicles date back to before 1954. Because some vehicles have been renumbered and because some carriages and vans have carried the same numbers, a ready reference guide to numbering changes in the post-preservation era has been prepared and can be accessed here.
A full survey of pre-preservation coaching stock can be found at Carriages (Pre Preservation).
Updated details of the Carriage Sets currently used in operation can be found at Carriage sets
 PRE-PRESERVATION COACHING STOCK SERIES
The old FR Co. numbered its public passenger carriages, passenger brake/luggage vans, quarrymen's carriages and goods brake vans in four, separate, series.
Following preservation a unified numbering series for coaching stock was adopted. The two four-wheeled ex-Quarrymen's goods brake vans, the surviving Quarrymen's carriage and the three bogie brake vans that had been adapted to include passenger compartments were renumbered using vacant slots among the surviving carriages, ie 1, 2, 8, 10, 11 & 12. By 1996 the restoration/replication of carriages had, or soon would have, recreated the vehicles that originally carried these numbers, a situation inconceivable to the preservation pioneers. In order to accommodate all the vehicles the heritage bogie vans, including the newly-built 'curly roof van' have been renumbered into their own separate series, along with the old-style four-wheeled brake vans 6 and 7 (previously 1 & 2).
There are photographs of one particular carriage that has, to date, eluded identification. Details of this can be found here
 4 Wheeled Coaching stock
- The Boat replica
- Bug Boxes
- Carriage 1 - the replica "small Birmingham" "zoo car" previously numbered Carriage 9
- Carriage 2 - "small Birmingham"previously numbered Carriage 6
- Carriage 3 - "small Birmingham"
- Carriage 4 - "small Birmingham"
- Carriage 5 - "small Birmingham"
- The Flying Bench - Carriage 11- original open "small Birmingham" now fitted with a replica canopy/ leather aprons
- Carriage 12 - a replica "Porthole Bugbox" under construction
- Carriage 13 - similar to Flying Bench. It survived just into preservation era, but was an early candidate for scrapping
- Quarrymen's Carriages
- Carriage 8 - Quarrymen's Carriage Type 3
- Carriage 9 - Second generation small Ashbury. Type no longer exists but replica 10 built
- Carriage 10 - the 2006 replica "Ashbury" First Class
- Van 1 - (1955) - withdrawn from service in 1963 and no longer exists- ex quarrymen's carriage with two balconies
- Van 6 - ex Quarrymen's Carriage - balcony at one end only
- Van 7- replica of old Van 1 above
 Bogie Coaching stock
- Van 1 - the replica "Curly Roofed Van"
- Van 2 - formerly Carriage 10
- Van 3 - survived to 1955 but never returned to service - no longer exists
- Van 4 - formerly Carriage 11
- Van 5 - formerly Carriage 12 (first)
- Carriage 14 - Buffet Car ex-Lynton & Barnstaple Railway
- Carriage 15
- Carriage 16
- Carriages 17 to 20 - the "Bowsiders"
- Carriage 21 - not returned to service after closure - disposed of in 1962
- Carriage 22
- Carriage 23 - allocated to the WHR(C) from 2001
- Carriage 24 - replica WHR car allocated to WHR(C)
- Carriage 26
- The Open Carriages - Hudson Toastracks - replicas reconstructed in the preservation era on Hudson frames, some of which came from pre-war carriage stock
 POST PRESERVATION SERIES
- Van 51 - four-wheeler built in 1963 to replace old Van 1 (1 balcony) now in PW Fleet
- Carriages 100 - 107 - the "Barns"
- Carriage 100 (first) - Observation Car - allocated to the WHR(C) from 2003 and renumbered 1000 in 2006. Dismantled 2010.
- Carriage 100 (second) - new style Observation Car
- Carriage 101 (first) - old style Observation Car - allocated to the WHR(C) from 2006-2009, Renumbered to 123 2010.
- Carriage 101 (second) - new style Observation Car - awaiting construction
- Carriage 102 - new style Observation Car
- Carriage 103 (1968) - Buffet Car - withdrawn 2006
- Carriage 103 (second) - Super Barn all 3rd saloon
- Carriage 104 - First carriage of the Barn series to be built (originally 24). Composite saloon.
- Carriage 105 - Lavatory fitted all-third saloon
- Carriage 106 - Composite saloon
- Carriage 107 - Composite saloon
- Carriage 108 - Super Barn all 3rd saloon - under construction
- Carriage 110 - Push Pull fitted saloon, formerly driving trailer
- Carriage 111 - Observation Car, Lavatory, Push Pull fitted with remote driving cab
- Carriages 112 - 114 - the "Carnforths"
- Carriage 116 - All 3rd Saloon
- Carriages 117 - 121 the "Tin Cars"
- Carriage 121 (second) - Super Barn all 3rd saloon
- Carriage 122 - All 3rd Saloon, Push Pull fitted
- Carriage 123 - 'Back to front Obs' 3rd saloon, converted from 101 2010-2011.
- Carriage 124 - Service Vehicle (Buffet, Toilet and Guards Van).
- Carriage 1000 - PW mess car converted from Carriage 100 (first) and now scrapped
- Carriage 1111 - PW mess car