On this day, a coal waggon belonging to the Welsh Slate Company was in transit from Duffws to a siding at Dinas, when one of the axles broke and it derailed. The permanent way was damaged and part of a wall was knocked down. The axle had been made by Messrs. Caine & Co. of Liverpool, of Bagnel iron. It was first used on 12th August 1875 and, by that time, had run about 1,400 miles. It broke close to the boss of one of the wheels and there was apparently an old flaw at the fracture.