Minffordd Goods Shed
|Minffordd Goods Shed|
|Location||Minffordd Yard - Largest Stone built structure in the main Minffordd yard|
|T. Corner ID||MY009|
|Heritage Status||To be confirmed. Cadw listing text as follows:-
Any Cadw listing text to be inserted here.
|Historical significance||Another highly significant building because it is has survived from the period of the railway's greatest prosperity.
It was built about 1872/73 to store undercover goods to be exchanged between the narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway and the standard gauge Cambrian Railways.
From about 1940 it was leased out as a sawmill, but the tenants left in 1964 and the FR resumed possession.
Materials and workmanship: Stone (slate); roof timbers (description to be added); joinery (windows and doors) some requiring renewing. Steel 'modern' roller shutter door. Slate tiles have been re-used and renewed during its life (to be confirmed). (more to be added post internal inspection/survey once undertaken).
|Cadw Blg ID||To be inserted if it has one.|
|Description||Solid stone walls, some renewed sections using non-traditional materials, under a pitched roof. All external walls are un-rendered stonework externally. Internal descriptions to be added when surveyed.|
|Present use||July 2015: Infrastructure Department locomotive shed and used as a store for materials, tools and equipment.|
|Previous use||Goods Shed building circa 1872 – c1940, sawmill c1940 - 1964, from 1964 under the restored FR the building has been used by the Infrastucture Department to store their locomotive overnight under cover and as an under cover store for materials tools and equipment.|
|Recent works||Major repairs 2016-7.
|Less urgent repairs||No internal repairs required (to be confirmed)
|Improvements needed||to be considered post external and internal survey.
|Potential alternative uses||None.|