New Erecting Shop
Although the term New Erecting Shop is sometimes used for the 1900 replacement for the original corrugated-iron Erecting Shop, this article is about the extension built in 1972-3 at the rear of the existing Erecting Shop, No 111 on the plan. Although there was space available between the Old Erecting Shop and the rock face, it was necessary to remove a considerable amount of rock to level the floor, and also to remove any unstable boulders from the face. Skilled rockmen from Maenofferen Quarry were brought in to achieve this. It is an 'Atcost' prefabricated building and has provided an invaluable increase in workshop space, but is now planned for replacement as part of the improvement programme for Boston Lodge. The new building will be larger and probably incorporate an overhead travelling crane.
- Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 60, page(s): 4