No 1 Boston Lodge
|Nos 1 and 2 Boston Lodge|
|Location||Boston Lodge on the west side of the site overlooking the road to Porthmadog.|
|Register No||102 and 103|
|T. Corner ID||BL015 and BL016|
|Heritage Status||Grade 2 listed. All works that materially effect its character will require Listed Building Consent.|
|Historical significance||Highly significant. The earliest building on the site from 1808 being first occupied in 1809. Built as a barracks to house workers and for workshops, offices and stables all in connection with the building of the Cob.
Originally known as Penhryn Cottage renamed 'Boston Lodge' in May 1811 after the constituency of William Alexander Maddocks.
The building fell into disrepair after 1814 was purchased together with the land now known as 'Top Yard' by the Ffestiniog Railway Company. In 1836 the building was made habitable for the Weighmaster and Constable of the railway.
In 1956 a demolition order was issued for the building by Deudraeth District Council but was rescinded when works were undertaken to address the order.
|Cadw Blg ID||14416. Cadw listing text as follows:-
Exterior. This prominent range, although altered, is the oldest at Boston Lodge because it was originally the barrack building to house some of the workforce brought in to build the Cob; there was also a comparable barracks on the Porthmadoc side. Tall, 3-storey stone building with painted rendered elevations and boulder plinth; hipped slate roof with wide eaves and cement rendered chimney stacks to ends and centre. 3 + 3-window west front with modern cross-frame, small-pane, windows and drip-edges at sill level. Irregular window arrangement at rear and entrances up steps to either end. Reason for Listing. Listed for its importance as a former workmens' barracks, the oldest of the Boston Lodge buildings. Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge which is an especially complete C19 railway works and has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway.
|Description||Solid stone walls, rendered under a duo pitched roof covered with slates|
|Present use||House (the building forms a pair of semi-detached houses about the central chimmney breast).|
|Previous use||Accommodation for workers; offices; workshops; stables|
|Condition||The building is generally sound but was not inspected internally (2013)|
|Less urgent repairs||A summary of the repairs required are as follows:-
|Improvements needed||The following works go beyond 'repairs'.
Replace plastic rainwater goods with cast iron.
|Potential alternative uses||The future use of this building is likely to remain as a pair of houses for the foreseeable future.|