No 1 Boston Lodge

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
(Redirected from No 2 Boston Lodge)

This, the original Boston Lodge, was the first building on the site of the Works, located at the edge of the quarry from which the material for the Cob was excavated. It was built as barracks and stables for the men and horses working on the construction. It is currently used as two dwellings.

In view of its historic origins, the Company has recently referred to it in planning documents[1] as the Georgian Barracks (H10).

Nos 1 and 2 Boston Lodge
Location Boston Lodge on the west side of the site overlooking the road to Porthmadog.
Register No 102 and 103
T. Corner ID BL015 and BL016
Operational Yes
Heritage Status Grade 2 listed. All works that materially effect its character will require Listed Building Consent.
Historical significance Highly significant. The earliest building on the site from 1808 being first occupied in 1809. Built as a barracks to house workers and for workshops, offices and stables all in connection with the building of the Cob.

Originally known as Penhryn Cottage renamed 'Boston Lodge' in May 1811 after the constituency of William Alexander Madocks.

The building fell into disrepair after 1814 and was purchased together with the land now known as 'Top Yard' by the Ffestiniog Railway Company after 1832. In 1836 the building was made habitable for the Weighmaster and Constable of the railway. It has been used for residential purposes ever since, usually for Railway staff, sometimes as four separate apartments, more recently as two semi-detached houses.

In 1956 a demolition order was issued for the building by Deudraeth District Council but was rescinded when works were undertaken to address the condition of the building.

Cadw Blg ID 14416. Cadw listing text as follows:-

Exterior. This prominent range, although altered, is the oldest at Boston Lodge because it was originally the barrack building to house some of the workforce brought in to build the Cob; there was also a comparable barracks on the Porthmadog side. Tall, 3-storey stone building with painted rendered elevations and boulder plinth; hipped slate roof with wide eaves and cement rendered chimney stacks to ends and centre. 3 + 3-window west front with modern cross-frame, small-pane, windows and drip-edges at sill level. Irregular window arrangement at rear and entrances up steps to either end. Reason for Listing. Listed for its importance as a former workmens' barracks, the oldest of the Boston Lodge buildings. Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge which is an especially complete C19 railway works and has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway.

Description Solid stone walls, rendered under a duo pitched roof covered with slates
Present use House (the building forms a pair of semi-detached houses about the central chimmney breast).
Previous use Accommodation for workers; offices; workshops; stables
Condition The building is generally sound but was not inspected internally (2013); in need of internal work (2020).
Less urgent repairs A summary of the repairs required in 2015 is as follows:-
  1. Rainwater disposal - replace plastic gutters and down pipes with cast iron
  2. Strip paint off woodwork and repaint (linseed oil paint recommended).
Improvements needed The following works go beyond 'repairs' (2015).
  1. Consider replacing render to rear elevation.
  2. Consider replacing modern windows with windows reflecting the period of the building.

Replace plastic rainwater goods with cast iron.

Plans announced in 2020 envisage general renovations outside and particularly inside. In 2023 the cement render was removed from the exterior walls, general wall repairs effected and the walls re-rendered with lime mortar. New windows in period style will be fitted.

Potential alternative uses Planned future use as offices on the top floor with two residential apartments below.


  1. ^ The Boston Lodge Interpretation and Development Project (FR Co 2020)