North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Not to be confused with the "North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways" (plural), the company that ran rail services between Dinas Junction, Bryngwyn and Rhyd Ddu between 1876 and 1923.

North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway was a family-owned firm which made failed a bid, in February 1980, to build a miniature railway on the Welsh Highland Railway trackbed between Waunfawr and Rhyd Ddu.

This development would have used the promoters' 12.25" gauge equipment built for the very short-lived Réseau Guerlédan in Brittany, which they later brought to Wales for their redevelopment of the Fairbourne Railway in the mid-1980s. The Fairbourne has since passed to new owners but retains two half-size representations of NWNGR/WHR locomotives Beddgelert (built for Guerlédan but never taken to France) and Russell (a Fairbourne rebuild of the handsome Leek & Manifold-style 2-6-4T Elaine built for Guerlédan, also never taken to France).

See also[edit]

References[edit]