Old Brass Foundry
|Former Brass Foundry|
|Location||Boston Lodge Adjacent to the Staff Mess Room (Den)|
|T. Corner ID||BL011|
|Heritage Status||Grade 2 listed. All works that materially effect its character will require Listed Building Consent.|
|Historical significance||Highly significant. This building formed part of the original buildings on the site. Formerly a smithy in 1856 it had three forges and whilst often referred to as the 'Brass Foundry' it is not clear to what extent it was used as such. The first floor of the building is thought to have been added in the 1950s. The rear wall was rebuilt between 1956 and 1962 when the fill supporting the steps to the upper floor of No 2 Boston Lodge were removed.|
|Cadw Blg ID||14417. Cadw listing text as follows:-
Exterior. Single-storey, built of local slatey rubble with slate roof and wide eaves, bracketed to gable end. 3-bay front with central boarded door flanked by 4-light transomed windows. 1970s extension to right now links with Oil Store. Reason for Listing. Listed as part of this especially complete example of a C19 railway engineering works which has important historical associations with the Ffestiniog Railway. Group value with other listed items at Boston Lodge.
|Description||Solid stone walls under a duo pitched roof covered with slates. Internally there is a timber suspended first floor which is thought to have been inserted in the 1950s.|
|Present use||Storage of miscellaneous items mainly non ferrous.|
|Previous use||Smithy, then storage. Its use as Brass Foundry has not been established. It was described as 'Store, [formerly] Brass Shop' on Dan Wilson's map of 1963 and this may mean it was used for machining, finishing and storing brass fittings and parts, but not necessarily casting. 'Old Brass Shop' may be a better name for this building.|
|Condition||The building is generally sound.|
|Urgent and Immediate Repairs required||The following repairs are urgently required:-
|Less urgent repairs||A summary of the repairs required are as follows:-
|Improvements needed||The following works go beyond 'repairs'.
|Potential alternative uses||The future use of this building is likely to be included within a larger scheme of conservation works to reinstate the buildings of the Top Yard. This could have a number of appropriate alternative uses. Current plans are for conservation then use as store and display area representing the Works in the preservation era.|
Front and gable with Telephone Exchange (97) in the foreground 2013. The old container has now been removed.
- Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 246, page(s): 436