Template:Featured picture/January 2012
Chaloner is an example of de Winton's distinctive vertical-boiler design, as used for many years in the North Wales slate quarries. It was built in 1877 at the Union Works in Caernarfon, derelict remains of which are located across the road from the present WHR station. It is believed to have been supplied new to the Pen-y-Bryn slate quarry, Nantlle, moving to Pen-yr-Orsedd nearby in 1888. It was obtained for preservation by Mr A Fisher and is normally based at the Leighton Buzzard Railway.
It has visited all three lines and is seen here on the Welsh Highland Railway in August 2011.
Photo credit: Michael Chapman