Template:Featured picture/June 2020
Dinas Junction was the original junction between the Dinas and Duffws branches of the Festiniog Railway, which was located just below Barlwyd Bridge.
When the railway first opened in 1836 there was no junction here as the railway only went to Dinas. It was only later in 1866 that the Duffws branch was added. In 1880 the two branches were connected by a loop line to make a triangle.
It continued to be a junction until 1899 when the Oakeley Quarries wanted the land to extend its slate tip when a new junction and devation line was put in nearer to Glanypwll. The original junction is still to be seen even though much of the rest of the lower part of the branch is covered with slate waste.
The photograph shows the Junction in the summer of 1887.