Welsh Highland Railway Limited
WHR Ltd. is the main holding company for the operations at Gelert's Farm Works. Established to take over the activities of the first Welsh Highland Railway Society, Welsh Highland Railway Limited was incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee, with the name Welsh Highland Light Railway (1964) Limited, on 30 January 1964 (Company Number 00790125). It adopted its present name on 25 June 1996. This company owns and operates the railway and associated museum on the Beddgelert Siding site at Porthmadog and trades as the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway. It is independent from the Festiniog Railway Company or the Festiniog Railway Trust.
After the closure and lifting of the track in 1941, the Welsh Highland was dormant for some time. There were some attempts at a revival, but nothing of note until the early 1960s.
A dedicated group of enthusiasts, in 1961, formed the first Welsh Highland Railway Society. This was later incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee, with the name Welsh Highland Light Railway (1964) Limited, on 30 January 1964 (Company Number 00790125).
During the '70s, land was purchased on the old slate exchange sidings at Beddgelert Sidings, in Porthmadog, and the rebirth of the Welsh Highland Railway started. Track was laid and rolling stock acquired, culminating in new passenger services starting from 1980, and the return to service in 1987 of the famous narrow gauge locomotive Russell.
The "1964 Company" adopted its present official name, Welsh Highland Railway Ltd, on 25 June 1996. By agreement with the FR Co, it adopted the trading name of Welsh Highland Railway (Porthmadog) to distinguish it from the FR-backed Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon). From 2008 the trading name has been Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.