South African Railways Class NGG16 2-6-2+2-6-2T Beyer Garratt locomotive built by Beyer Peacock (Builder's number 7865 of 1958). One of a batch of seven (no.s 137 - 143), the last steam locos built by Beyer Peacock, which were ordered by the Tsumeb Copper Corp of South West Africa in 1958 but when its line was altered to Cape Gauge, South African Railways took over the order.
Although not first placed on the 93 mile long Ixopo branch (from Umzinto to Ixopo / Donnybrook), according to the November 1965 Natal System locomotive returns, 140 and 143 were in service on the branch at that time (together with No.s 85, 86, 112, 113, 114, 115, 126, 129, 131 and 139). As the image below shows, 140 was still on the branch 10 years later.
140 was one of several NGG16s sold by South African Railways in 1987 to the new formed Alfred County Railway, which took over the operation of the Port Shepstone - Harding line in that year. 140 was in traffic with ACR by 1989 and remained in traffic until 1992/93 when the loco is believed to have been the victim of a vandal attack in which majority of its brass and copper was stolen. Following this she was put in store at Paddock where FR Driver the late Evan Davies saw her in 1996. The loco was purchased by a Group of Swiss and German supporters who later sold the locomotive to the FR Trust for just £100. It was imported to the UK early in 1997 and arrived at the Glan-y-Pwll depot in Blaenau Ffestiniog in the April of that year.
140 was displayed at the 1997 FR Gala and was then stored at Glan-y-Pwll on the FR until it was dismantled for transport and moved to Dinas in February and March 2005. At Dinas the power units and boiler unit are stored and worked on separately, the boiler unit standing on ambulance bogies. Here a volunteer group began the task of restoration.
The boiler and hind bogie from 140 have now entered service as part of 143, in June 2011. The boiler overhaul has been fast-tracked and in October 2009 it was sent to Pete Waterman's LNWR works at Crewe. Boston Lodge is currently working at full capacity.
The boiler was returned after re-tubing. It was fitted, together with its rear bogie to 143 during late 2010.
The rear bunker from 140 was moved to Boston Lodge in the hope it would be used on 143, but after inspection it was decided to fabricate a new rear bunker. The front tank, cab, and front bogie remain at Dinas. The other 'spare' bogie ex 143 is stored at Boston Lodge minus cylinders.
The cradle from 140 has been shotblasted and painted in spring 2011 ( together with the old boiler from 143).
The rear power unit is seen in the workshop at Dinas under repair
- WHR e-group posting 45960 by Mike Hart