Lyd, at Rhyd Ddu 28th April 2011
|Built By||Boston Lodge|
|Designed By||Manning, Wardle & Co, and Boston Lodge|
|5th August 2010||First moves under own power|
|11th September 2010||First public passenger train|
|Fuel||Originally oil, now coal|
Lyd is a close replica of Lew, one of the 2-6-2Ts of the legendary Lynton & Barnstaple Railway in Devon, closed in 1935. As there is a possibility (increasingly remote) that Lew may still exist in South America, where the engine was shipped after the L&B closed, a new name has been chosen. The first manufacturing tasks were carried out in Cornwall, but the main building of the engine later moved to the FR's Boston Lodge Works. The project is being funded partly by the individuals behind it, and partly by a variety of contribution schemes.
The loco was to carry the chimney of original Lynton and Barnstaple loco Yeo (built 1897, scrapped 1935), which spent 62 years on a steam roller, which now has a replacement chimney! This is seen in the pictures below. However the chimney has been found to be too corroded for further use, and a new one has been made.
In early 1999 the main chassis components of Lyd were moved to the premises of ESCA Engineering in Wigan, with a view to speeding up the fitting and assembly process. The largely complete rolling chassis was returned to Boston Lodge in time to be exhibited at the May 1999 Gala, where it was shown with the tanks, smokebox barrel and chimney fitted, making the size and proportions of the full-size loco clear for the first time. Since then, a great deal of work has been done on the remaining chassis components. With further work done but the tanks and smokebox removed, the rolling chassis of Lyd was on view at Minffordd during the FR's October 2000 Vintage Weekend.
The order for Lyd's boiler was placed in mid-December 2000, with the Bradford firm of Israel Newton, who have also built the new boiler for Garratt K1. The project had amassed the necessary funds to cover the estimated cost of £36,000 in one go.
By early July 2002 the outer firebox shell was almost complete, the boiler barrel had been attached to the throatplate, and the inner firebox was being welded up. It is intended to test fit the boiler to the frames as soon as it arrives at Boston Lodge, as the frames are ready to receive it. By the same time, the complex pony trucks had been completed at Boston Lodge, apart from the axleboxes, which awaited castings.
Lyd was displayed at Dinas during the September 14-15th 2002 Superpower Weekend. It had been hoped that the boiler might have been ready to be fitted for this display, but in the event it had not yet been delivered. The boiler was successfully hydraulically tested at Newton's on Friday,1st November 2002. It was dispatched by road to the FR the same day, arriving at Minffordd Yard early on Saturday November 2nd. The boiler was lifted directly into the frames (with the tanks previously removed) and secured with timber packing ready for immediate transport to Boston Lodge, hauled by visiting Hunslet Velinheli (owned by James Evans), before the first service train of the day.
During Spring 2003 the pony trucks were finished off. The panplate and burner for the oil firing system were fitted, and the crinolines were made (the supporting framework for the boiler cladding). Non-ferrous casting for various fittings and valves were to hand or on order. The incomplete loco was towed up the FR with a dummy wooden cab to test clearances. From this the decision was made to make a cab that would fit on the FR but have added pieces that could be fitted to give the original outline as seen historically. Lyd was stored at Glan-y-Pwll depot over Summer 2003, awaiting a spare slot in the Boston Lodge schedule for work to progress further.
The part-completed loco was displayed at "Railfest" at the National Railway Museum in York from May 29th to June 6th 2004 - a new loco helping to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the steam locomotive.
 Into traffic
It was tested in the yard at Boston Lodge and later in the day, at Harbour Station. Further testing took place during August[video 1], and it made its first public runs at the WHR Superpower weekend in September 2010.
Shortly afterwards, Lyd also visited the Launceston Steam Railway and the reborn Lynton & Barnstaple Railway (accompanied by the former L&B Coach 15 (now FR Carriage 14) and FR Carriage 102 during September 2010. Lyd (along with Taliesin) became the first loco to haul a passenger train on the WHR originating at Porthmadog on 31st October 2010 with a special train for WHR construction personnel and contractors from Porthmadog to Rhyd Ddu and return.
During December 2010 Lyd was lined out in BR livery, given a BR early crest and numbered 30190, as a nod towards what might have become of the original L&B engines had they survived to nationalisation.
In September 2011 Lyd was repainted in full Maunsell-period Southern Railway green, with the number E190.
In December 2011 Lyd was converted to coal firing.