This 4wPM locomotive of about 20hp was obtained by Colonel Stephens for use on the Croesor Tramway in July 1925, having been used by contractors P&W Anderson Ltd on the Torrington and Halwill Railway construction contract in Devon.
It seems to have been used for a time, as spares were delivered in August 1926. It was even tried out with a single passenger coach (a Hudson Toastrack) on 25 January 1928, but this experiment was a failure, taking 45 minutes to complete the trip. With Croesor traffic declining it was then used on shunting, and although transferred to the FR in December 1928 it was out of use by 1929. An offer to purchase it for £10 was made in May 1933 but it was scrapped in 1934.
A photograph indicating to be this type of locomotive on the Colonel Stephens Railway Museum web site shows a diminutive "skip frame" machine; it is not known whether the example used in Wales was of a similar type, and it appears to be rather small to have been used successfully to haul slate wagons on the Croesor Tramway. However, Austro-Daimler appear to have built three variants: the small 6hp type, the medium variant of 10-12hp (the SL12) and the largest of around 30hp. Information on the types is limited, but the medium variant is the most likely as it is known to have built from the Great War onwards, whereas the larger model appeared later.
- Bradley, Vic (1993) . Industrial Locomotives of North Wales. London: Industrial Railway Society. ISBN 0-9010-9672-5. OCLC 27769657.
- Colonel Stephens Railway Museum web site.
- Jones, Chris; Dennis, Peter (2018). Little Giants: A History of the Ffestiniog Railway's Pre-Revival Locomotives, Their Mentors, Manufacture and Maintenance. Lydney: Lightmoor Press. ISBN 9781 911038 43 6. OCLC 1079189439.