|Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map|
Coordinates: Betws Garmon is a former station on the Welsh Highland Railway. It lies at a height of 127m (416.5 ft), and a route distance of approx 28km (17.4 miles) from Porthmadog.[route 1][wikipedia 1] The older spelling of this location is Bettws Garmon, and this alternative is used variously on this wiki. The station is derelict although the roofless remains of the building have recently (2018/2019) been conserved. There are no plans to restore it as a working building.
Betws Garmon was one of the original North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways stations of perhaps 1877. There was once a short, sharply curved loop line behind the station and a branch south west to a quarry.
The station is unlikely to re-open because: (a) there is no present prospect of traffic offering, and (b) there is not enough clearance between the station ruin and the track for the 2m clearance required by HM Railway Inspectors.
A better place for a halt would be at Betws Garmon Church, some few hundred yards south, where there is also a large camp site. There is public access from the new bridge and from the waterworks path.
In the nearby cemetery behind the church lie Will (1903-81) and Bessie (1905-78) Jones of Tan y Bwlch; fifth row back, eight graves along the row. The grave is easily identified as it has a Double Fairlie on the gravestone; the grave is covered in marble chips.
The remains of the station buildings have recently (2018/2019) been conserved by a contractor paid for by the Welsh Highland Railway Heritage Group.
See Also[edit source]