WHR Locations

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Locations along the WHR part of the line[edit source]

Caernarfon
Pont Seiont
Bontnewydd
Gwyrfai Viaduct
Dinas North Yard
Dinas
Dinas South Yard
Braich / Moel Tryfan SQ
Alexandra (Crown) / Fron SQ
Bryngwyn
Rhostryfan
Tryfan Junction
Bryngwyn Branch
Waunfawr
Betws Garmon
Hafod-y-Wern SQ branch
Pont Betws Garmon
Betws Garmon Road Bridge
Pont Tros y Gol
Salem
Pont Plas y Nant
Plas y Nant
Castell Cidwm
Quellyn
Snowdon Ranger
Glan yr Afon Viaduct
Glanrafon SQ sidings
Rhyd Ddu
Rhyd Ddu sidings
Pitt's Head
Summit
Meillionen (Forest Campsite)
Beddgelert
Goat Tunnel
Bryn y Felin
Aberglaslyn Pass
Tunnel 2
Tunnel 3
Tunnel 4 (Long tunnel)
Nantmor
Hafod y Llyn
Pont Ynysferlas
Ynysferlas
Pont Dylif
Croesor Tramway
Ynysfor
Afon Glaslyn
Pont Croesor
Traeth Mawr Loop (lifted)
Pen-y-mount
Porthmadog Bypass
Gelert's Farm Works
Gelert's Farm Halt
Porthmadog (WHHR), Portmadoc New (1929)
Cae Pawb
Portmadoc New (1923)
Snowdon Street
Britannia Bridge
Harbour Station
Ffestiniog Railway to Blaenau Ffestiniog


N.B. BEWARE Certain placenames are used frequently in the area. One example being Bont Newydd. This is a place referred in Boyd, said to be located near to Rhiw Plas/Minffordd Cemetery. It also refers in the form Bontnewydd to a village, and request halt on the Welsh Highland - some 15 miles northwest..

Stations and halts are in larger type. Locations on the current official route as defined by the rule book are in bold, however this is not a full list of official locations only those easily identifiable to the lay person or of other interest are chosen. Inset locations are not on the route itself but are nearby and of interest.

The Bryngwyn Branch (Closed)

Note that throughout this wiki the names Portmadoc and Porthmadog have been variously used. The original name c.1821 was Port Madock or Portmadock, but this changed to Portmadoc, the name generally used from c.1840 to 1974 whilst Porthmadog has since 1974 been, and currently is, the offical title. The differences are purely matters of Welsh grammar - the pronounciation is much the same.

Other locations within Porthmadog and articles about Porthmadog[edit source]

Due to the proximity of locations around here, these are in alphabetic order. Also there is some deliberate duplication with the FR Locations page.

Locations on the WHHR line[edit source]

Sometimes called Tremadog Road, but not officially.

Locations along the FR part of the line[edit source]

See FR Locations

Location of Company Facilities[edit source]

The FR Company Head Office is at Harbour Station
For rolling stock the main works and running shed are at Boston Lodge
The principal WHR/RhE running shed and depot is at Dinas Junction
There are FR depots for Permanent Way and Civil Engineering at Minffordd Yard and Glan y Pwll

The WHR Ltd/WHHR depot, works and Museum are at Gelert's Farm Works

See also[edit source]