Gwyndy Bank

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Gwyndy Bank
Blanche descending the Bank
Type Embankment
Status In use
Route Navigator
← Prev Station Next Station →
Minffordd Penrhyn
← Prev Location Next Location →
Cae Ednyfed Gwyndy Bridge
Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map

Gwyndy Bank (English = White House Bank) is a long embankment, almost straight and about half a mile long, rising to a height of some 20ft (6m). In the middle is Gwyndy Bridge (otherwise known as Y Garth Road Bridge), a small and entertaining round arch built from the local stone when the line was first built in 1833-6. The arch has become slightly deformed over the years - maybe when it was new - but it is perfectly sound and should be good for as many more. It must be one of the older railway bridges in use in the country. Fortunately the new Porthmadog Bypass has been moved away from this place and passes between the old Ffestiniog Union Workhouse (where some enterprising bats have caused a cool £million extra work to conserve them) and Minffordd Station (with the FR bats), so the little bridge and its steep stone-built bank are to be kept as one of the finest and favourite sites for photographs of steam trains. [1]

Earl of Merioneth ascending Gwyndy Bank. The red glow from the firebox is evidence of the fireman using the elbow room granted by the embankment to put a few rounds of coal on the fires! 1970
Blanche descending Gwyndy Bank. The house at the extreme right of this photograph is Gwyndy, for which the embankment is named. 1970


See also[edit]