|This article is a stub. You can help Festipedia by expanding it.|
John Boys, born in 1826, described himself as a Railway Engineer in the 1851 Census, and in subsequent Censuses as a Civil Engineer. At the time of the 1881 Census he was living at Great Clacton, Essex. He died 6 October 1921.
He was appointed NWNGR contractor in 1876 to complete the line to Bryngwyn and Snowdon Ranger after Hugh U McKie had been dismissed. On 9 May following a request from a Mr Bray in February the FR locomotive Palmerston was despatched to Llanwnda, hired by the NWNGR and staying until July 1877.  The line was opened from Dinas to Bryngwyn and a temporary terminus at Quellyn in 1877, extended to Snowdon Ranger on 1 June 1878. Tenders were called for erecting what the engineer James Cleminson called Dingle Bridge with a span of 94ft over the Afon Treuweunydd and an extension of about a mile to Glanrafon siding in October 1878 , and the final extension of a mile and a quarter to Rhyd-ddu in July 1880, which was opened of 14 May 1881. Boys & Co still had their offices at Rhyd-ddu Station in October 1881 when Penrhyn Quarry negotiated the purchase of a 4-wheel coach, suggesting Boys was awarded the contracts for both extensions.
- Bradford Observer 18 August 1876, The Times 19 August 1876
- Peter Johnson in Illustrated History of the Welsh Highland Railway 2nd edition 2009 p15
- North Wales Express 18 October 1878
- Y Genedl Gymreig
- Eric Foulkes in Penrhyn Society Journal No 23.