Template:Featured article/January 2021
Coed y Bleiddiau ('Wood of the Wolves') is the location of a line-side cottage with private halt between Tan y Bwlch and Dduallt on the Ffestiniog Railway. There is evidence of ancient forest in the area. Local legend has it that the last wolf to be killed in Wales met its end nearby.
The railway crosses a small side valley on a curved, dry-stone, embankment adjacent to the cottage and the extra width on the valley side of the curve is evidence of the curve having been eased at some time.
The cottage which was built around 1863 for the use of the Superintendent of the Line. It was later rented to a number of private tenants including Sir Granville Bantock and Harry St. John Bridger Philby. Beginning in 2014 the building was restored and as of 2018 is available as a holiday rental through the Landmark Trust.
The current Festiniog Railway Company Rule Book spells the name of this location as Coed y Bleiddiau; however it has previously been known as "Coed-y-Bleddiau" or "Coed y Bleddiau". The correct spelling of the Welsh word for "wolves" is "bleiddiau". The location is also occasionally referred to as either "Coedybleddiau" or "Coedybleiddiau". (Full article...)