Template:Featured article/September 2020
Merddin Emrys was the first locomotive to be built by the Festiniog Railway Company in its own workshops at Boston Lodge and the third FR Double Fairlie. Merddin Emrys was built in 1879 to the design of George Percival Spooner and has spent its entire working life on the Festiniog Railway. When the railway closed in 1946 Merddin was the only double engine still available for service.
Merddin was returned to service in 1961 and has been much rebuilt since. It was reboilered in 1970 and converted to oil burning in 1973. The locomotive was rebuilt again in 1988 when the opportunity was taken to give it a more heritage style appearance. In 2007, as part of the FR's fuel diversification process, the locomotive reverted to coal firing.
Merddin Emrys is named after a legendary Welsh wizard (more often spelled Myrddin Emrys) who later became the basis for the wizard Merlin of Arthurian legend. (more...)