William Edward Oakeley

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

William Edward Oakeley, (1831-1912.) was the nephew of and,heir to William Griffith Oakeley (1790-1835), quarry owner.

The Oakeley family were major employees in the Tan-y-Bwlch area and had a large house (Plas Tan-y-Bwlch) near to the station.

William Edward rebuilt the Plas, took firm control of the quarrying side, built new houses in Maentwrog village, as well as a new church and a new school both at Maentwrog and Ty Nant. He undertook the running of Holland and Rhiwbryfdir Quarries and from 1878 until 1882 was solely responsible for the quarry administration. In that year the Oakeley Company was formed under his chairmanship. More quarries were taken over including that of Cwm Orthin in 1900.

For more information on the Oakeley dynasty, go to this external site

See also[edit]