1ft 6ins gauge Avonside 0-4-0T Woolwich (1748 of 1916), was built for the internal railways in the Royal Arsenal. From 1962 it became the only steam loco of the Woodland Railway at Bicton Gardens in Devon and visited the FR for assessment and repairs, arriving in July 1984. This resulted in No 7 road in the Maenofferen Shed being provided with a third rail to accommodate the differing gauge. The work was undertaken in 1986 and the loco returned to Bicton.
Since leaving Bicton in the late 1990s the locomotive spent some time at the Royal Gunpowder Mills, Waltham Abbey in Essex, and is now at the Crossness Pumping Station, Abbey Wood, where it is currently under repair (Oct 2011).
For current progress see http://therailwayproject.blogspot.com/
- Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 111, page(s): 17