Diffwys Quarry

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
  (Redirected from Diffwys)
Jump to: navigation, search

Diffwys Quarry, the first organised working in the district, opened in the 1760s. It was this quarry which gave its name to the FR's Diffwys Branch, though the FR station at the base of this incline has been variously spelled - Diphwys, Dyffws, Duffws.

Diffwys Quarry was able to connect with the FR in 1860 via the Bowydd incline which it shared with that quarry, it but also continued to cart slate to the Dwyryd until the building of its own direct incline connection until 1863, the same year that the Rhiwbach Tramway opened.

See also[edit]