George Augustus Huddart

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
George Augustus Huddart
Official positions held:
FR Co. Chairman 1855
FR Co. Director 1847 - 1876 (intermittent)
FR People | WHR People

George Augustus Huddart (b.1822) was the son of Sir Joseph Huddart and grandson of Captain Joseph Huddart. He was a FR Co. director for most of the period 1847 to 1876 and was Chairman in 1855.

He inherited the family properties after his father's death in 1841, saw himself as an inventor like his grandfather and was the co-patentee of the fishplate with Spooner, one of his real claims to fame. However, a lot of of his inventions were unworkable and appear to be centered round perpetual motion machines.

The estate included parts of Cricceth, Penygroes, Penrhyn, Porthmadog and Eithiniog on Anglesey. He lived at Brynkir, Carnarvonshire. He married Elinor and they had 10 children, Joseph Durham Erkine (1843), George Augustus Ward (1845), Sophia M. & Elizabeth H. (1847), Cuthbert H. Charles (1849), Fredrick S. (1851), Elinor L (1853), Arthur R. (1857), Francis (1859) and Harriet M. (1861).

Owned a field called Llanfawr, on land at Blaen-y-pennant, and used as terminus in the western arm of the Gorseddau Tramway. See Grid reference SH530470

Was a director of the Rhosydd Slate Quarry Co. Ltd in September 1866, and was on the NWNGR'Provisional Committee' when the scheme was put forward to Parliament in November 1871 and a Prospectus was issued for the Corwen line. He was not involved in the Prospectus in January 1873, or, apparently as a Director.

Reference in Cambrian Railway documentation of Mr Huddart's crossing - the crossing point of the Gorseddau and the Cambrian. (now within the station limits of the WHHR)

See also[edit]