This month's featured picture
Carriage 14, also known as The Snapper Bar is a buffet car operating on the Ffestiniog Railway. It was originally built in 1897 as a non-corridor brake third for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway. After the closure of that line it was sold for private use and was later bought by the FR in 1959. By 1963, the carriage was rebuilt as a corridor buffet car, becoming the largest carriage on the FR. In this form it provided the template for the FR's new carriages then being built.
Since the 1960s it has seen a number of modifications to improve its usefulness and (more recently) to bring its appearance more in keeping with its origins on the L&B. Although no longer required as one of the railways main buffet cars Carriage 14 can still be seen in regular use as part of the one of the railways main carriage sets. The photo shows the interior of the carriage.
Photo credit: User:Davidlloydgeorge
Rules for Contributions
The rules for contributions are simple:
- Do not post copyright material unless you have permission from the copyright owner
- Do not post personal details of living individuals (address, telephone number, email address, etc.) unless you have their permission to do so
- Keep on topic - you can put anything you want on your user pages but articles should be about the Ffestiniog Railway or related subjects
- Be courteous
- Do not delete anything unless it needs to be deleted
- Where possible please record the sources of your information
- Please record a comment on the change you have made in the box at the bottom of the page
- No obscene language
- Abusive or libellous postings are banned
If you want to notify us of a possible copyright infringement, please use the Contact Us option in the box in the top left of the page.
We have voluntary editors that look after Festipedia. They can be contacted via email or by using their User pages. Response may not be immediate, but they will reply, as long as you leave a contact point!!