John Ernest Greaves

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

John Ernest Greaves (1847-1945) was born at Tan-yr-allt, Tremadog but spent most of his childhood at Llechwedd, being educated at schools in Warwickshire, Edinburgh and Dorset before going to Oxford. On coming down in 1870, his father (John Whitehead Greaves) left him to become General Manager of Llechwedd Quarry and to live "on site" at Plas Weunydd.

On the death of his father John Whitehead Greaves, he inherited a half share and placed his brother Richard in the General Manager position.

In 1886, he became the first commoner Lord Lieutenant of Caernarfonshire, and in 1893 bought Glan Gwna Estate as a town house. Most of the old building was pulled down and renovated. The family house was at Bron Eifion, near Criccieth, now a fine private hotel set in a beautiful estate.

In 1900, with his two brothers, Richard, and Edward together with their respective wives formed themselves into a limited company, John Ernest was elected chairman with Richard as managing director.

On his death, Glan Gwna was left to his granddaughter Mrs Dorothy Flower who had married a cousin, William Flower (the brewery family), and the estate farms were subsequently sold.

He had two daughters, Dorothy & Cecily (who died as a child). His surviving daughter, Dorothy, married Godfrey Drage and they had two daughters, Dorothy and Cecily. Dorothy married William Flower and had two children John (who died as a child) and Susan who died unmarried. Cecily married Sandy Livinstone-Learmonth and she was left Tan-yr-allt, Tremadog by her grandfather, John Earnest Greaves. They had a daughter Jean (still living 2012) and a son who died at birth. Tan-yr-allt was sold in 1985 follwing Captain Livingstone-Learmonth's death in 1984.

(Some information was taken from this external site additional information was provided by Nick Golding, Tan-yr-allt, Tremadog)

See also[edit]