|Employer||Festiniog and Welsh Highland Railways|
|Predecessor||Septimus Edward Tyrwhitt|
|Successor||Eric Harry Raymond Nicholls|
|FR People | WHR People|
John May was born in Llanybyther, Carmarthenshire in 1867.
He held a number of posts for different railways, including:
- Clerk, Manchester & Milford Railway, 1881 - 1889
- Audit Clerk, Pembroke & Tenby Railway, 1889 - 1893
- Audit Clerk, Donegal Railway, 1893 - 1902
- Audit Accountant, Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway, 1902 - 1911
- Traffic Superintendent, Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway, 1911 - 1916
- Transport officer, Railway Operating Division, Royal Engineers, serving in Salonica, Bulgaria, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Palestine, attaining the rank of Captain, 1916 - May 1923.
He was appointed Superintendent (in place of a General Manager), of the Festiniog and Welsh Highland Railways, at a wage of £5 per week (succeeding previous General Manager, Septimus Edward Tyrwhitt) in October 1923. He left in summer 1924 (last known memo over his signature 11 August 1924), having been made redundant by new Managing Director, Eric Harry Raymond Nicholls.
He was then Secretary and Manager of the Ashover Light Railway from October 1924 - June/July 1927.
May later became a shopkeeper at Pembroke Dock from June/July 1927 until his death there on 15 January 1942.
See also[edit source]
- Richard Maund (2009) "Welsh Highland & Festiniog Management 1922-1925", Welsh Highland Heritage, Issue 44
- Robert Gratton and Stuart R Band, The Ashover Light Railway, Wild Swan 1989.