Template:Featured article/October 2017
Taliesin was an 0-4-4 Single Fairlie built by the Vulcan Foundry in 1876, originally given the number 9. It had its first run on 10th August 1876, double heading with Little Giant, and was put into service on 17th August. It was completely rebuilt between 1898 and 1900. Over subsequent years the locomotive fell into increasing disrepair and was dismantled in preparation for a new boiler in 1924. However, despite recommendations from the Locomotive Superintendent and Engineer, the Board refused to purchase a boiler. The boiler was run into by Welsh Pony, in August 1924, whose tender was also damaged in the accident. Boyd states Taliesin was reassembled with its existing boiler, but the archives have no record of this. The maintenance records log the scrapping of what remained in 1937. A replica was built in 1999. The only parts of the original locomotive known to have survived are the reversing lever (used on the replica) and the eccentrics (which were used on Linda). A set of Fairlie wheels survives and may well be from this loco.
The name is that of a legendary Head Bard to Prince Elffin, who maybe lived around 520-560 A.D. The name means 'fair-brow'; it can also mean 'fair pay' or 'reward.' The story is that William Williams (a bard himself, Gwilym Meirion) persuaded the FR Board that the legendary bard was just the name for the loco, but as there was a pay dispute between the Board and their staff at the time, it gave some glee to the men seeing the loco puffing up the line displaying the brass plate 'Fair Pay.' (more...)