Tommy Morgan

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group

Tommy Morgan was a painter on the Festiniog Railway. In 1969 he was the only part-timer at Boston Lodge. He lived in Penrhyndeudraeth. He was employed in the paint shop between the wars (c1920 to mid 1930s) and was delighted when the decision was made to adopt the old cherry red livery. He had rejoined the staff in 1967 after retiring from Cookes Explosives Factory.[1] When he rejoined the staff of the FR in 1967 the Magazine recorded that he was the fourth old company employee currently on the books.[2] The others were Tom Davies, Will Jones and Evie Roberts. A job he carried out in early 1967 was to paint and line out Earl of Merioneth which included white tyres.[3]

There was a Thomas Morgan (probably the same person) who joined the company during WW1 as a cleaner. He was later a labourer in the sawmill and at one time a storeman. So far no mention found in the FR Archives of being a painter. Also no mention of him at all after about 1927. However he did say, in conversation, that he gave Welsh Pony its last repaint in the mid 1930s.

His death was reported in the Spring 1979 FR Magazine (no. 84 page 7).


  1. ^ "Introducing the Staff", Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 044, page(s): 008
  2. ^ "Staff News", Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 036, page(s): 007
  3. ^ Harris R (2016) Facebook post in NG Enthusiasts Group 25th January.