- For Livingston Thompson, the person, see Livingston Thompson (1810).
At Duffws in 1886
|Designed by||G. P. Spooner|
|Built by||Boston Lodge|
|1956||Returned to service|
|1988||Placed in NRM|
Livingston Thompson - also named Taliesin and Earl of Merioneth during its working life - was the second locomotive to be built by the Festiniog Railway Company in its own workshops at Boston Lodge and the fourth FR Double Fairlie. It worked on the FR until 1971 when, worn out from years of service, it was withdrawn. It was then cosmetically restored with the original name, Livingston Thompson, and placed on display at the National Railway Museum.
- 1 History
- 1.1 Second Locomotive built at Boston Lodge, 1886
- 1.2 Reliable but with minor troubles. 1887-1895
- 1.3 Major overhaul, then coal induced tube problems 1896-1904
- 1.4 Second boiler, higher pressure, tanks becoming thin. 1905-1914
- 1.5 Delayed major overhaul, name change and last overhauls. 1921-1946
- 1.6 Use during the early revival years
- 1.7 Narrow escape from modern makeover. 1971-88
- 1.8 Museum piece. 1988-currently
- 2 Principal stated dimensions
- 3 See also
- 4 References
Second Locomotive built at Boston Lodge, 1886
Livingston Thompson was built at Boston Lodge in 1886 to the same basic design that G.P.Spooner had produced for Merddin Emrys, with the improvement of larger water tanks. It was given the number 3 within one year of building.
Reliable but with minor troubles. 1887-1895
The records for maintenance show it was a reliable locomotive from new, but that the boiler kept leaking from the foundation ring, requiring regular caulking. In May 1887 a plate of sheet iron was fixed to the top of the cab to strengthen it and the exhaust nozzles opened out to over 2 inches. In January 1889 the reversing rods were altered, flanges put on, through excessive strain on the faces, through want of proper lubricating oil. In October that year the sides of the cab were widened and new beading put round. In 1890 the exhaust nozzles were opened out again to 2 1/4 inches. The vacuum brake was put on in January 1893. The smokeboxes had new fronts and doors in April 1895 and in November that year, the brake gear had to be repaired after running over a sheep.
Major overhaul, then coal induced tube problems 1896-1904
Finally it had a major overhaul in August 1896 and all the copper rivets were taken out of the foundation ring and replaced with iron ones. In March 1898 two tubes burst so it was retubed with 214 new red metal tubes. However in December 1899 it had to be retubed again (in brass), the tubes having been eaten away by sulphurous coal. Cracks were now having to be patched on the corners of the firebox also. Two ventilators were added to the cab in April 1901 and then in August of that year again, two tubes burst. The engine was retubed once more in September with red metal tubes by Everett & Co. In January 1904 it was damaged by running into a piece of rock with the 8.30 train. A piece of a cylinder broke off and was repaired with wrought iron angle and studs having an iron strap around same. In July the entry is fastening slack tyre on wheel - which broke, 8 old tyres taken off and 8 new steel tyres shrunk on and each pinned. Maintenance is never easy!
Second boiler, higher pressure, tanks becoming thin. 1905-1914
Finally a new steel boiler from the Vulcan Foundry arrived in April 1905 and the locomotive was rebuilt by July that year. It had two new smokeboxes and the old chimneys were reused, but cut down by an inch and a quarter. The tanks were repaired with patches on the stokers side, two dome covers were altered to fit, and two new Whites injectors were fitted. The pressure of the boiler was now 170lb.
It was put in traffic for 8 months; then, when it came in for cylinder joints and steam chest leaks, it was repainted with 6 coats of varnish. Four new cylinders were fitted in 1907. In July 1910 a cylinder port broke. A piece 8 1/2 ounces had been blown through the chimney! The water tanks were in a very poor condition now and were patched in 1911. In February 1912 it had a new cylinder and other repairs. The cause was given as the road at Tan y Bwlch Jan 22nd. In July that year it came off the line at Portmadoc, but only damaged a 'lifeguard'. The last entry in the Williams books is for October 1914 where the tanks on one side were taken off and four patches were rivetted on.
Delayed major overhaul, name change and last overhauls. 1921-1946
The locomotive came into the works for a major overhaul in December 1921, but it wasn't until 1929 that the boiler was sent to Avonside Engine Co. for repairs, including a new firebox. The loco returned to service in May 1932, carrying the name Taliesin (formerly carried by the Single Fairlie built in 1876 and withdrawn in 1924). At this time it was placed on the bogies built for Merddin Emrys. In 1937 the cylinders from the original Taliesin were put into one of these bogies. Taliesin had an intermediate overhaul in 1938 including re-tubing. In March 1942 the engine was put into the erecting shop for repairs including re-tubing one end, which could not be pressed owing to shortage of men and pressure of other work. Consequently, the work was still unfinished when the railway suspended rail operations, on 1st August, 1946.
Use during the early revival years
Taliesin was the second locomotive to be put back in service on the revived FR after Prince. Assistance was provided for the rebuild by the Vulcan Foundry. The boiler was re-tubed and a cylinder was rebored and lined. The Vulcan Foundry donated an elephant chime whistle to Taliesin and to Prince. It ran from 2nd September 1956 to 22nd April 1961 as Taliesin.
Around 1960/1961, it was indicated that the Duke of Edinburgh would be happy to have his name on a FR locomotive. Francis Wayne, the then FR Co. Company secretary, had been at school with the Duke's secretary. It was announced that Taliesin will be renamed Earl of Merioneth / Iarll Meirionnydd by Mr Oswald Thomas at Minffordd on AGM day 22nd April 1961, after the arrival of the special from London. There was some grumbling amongst the society membership at the time, as Taliesin is a famous figure in Welsh legend. See Naming The Earl April 1961 By Eddie Bellass for a gallery of images from the naming day.
A heavy overhaul was completed in early 1967 after which it ran with painted white wall tyres on its wheels.
Narrow escape from modern makeover. 1971-88
In 1971, the locomotive was withdrawn as its boiler had reached the end of its life and was beyond economic repair. Plans to rebuild the loco to a more modern style had already been developed and it was proposed to scrap the bodywork and retain all the useful components, including the bogies, for reuse.
Appalled by the plan to destroy the last remaining Victorian-outline double Fairlie (Merddin Emrys had already been given a modern makeover), a letter was published in the Ffestiniog Railway Magazine signed by forty staff and volunteers, who were tagged the 'Active 40' by the magazine's editor, Norman Gurley. A subsequent appeal raised sufficient money to manufacture a new boiler cradle (virtually all that was required from the carcass) and, thereby, preserve the last example of a Spooner Fairlie.
For several years the body, less its bogies which were needed for further service, languished at various locations on the FR, ending up at Glanypwll. Meanwhile a brand new locomotive, to bear the name Earl of Merioneth slowly took shape at Boston Lodge.
Museum piece. 1988-currently
In 1988 restoration of the derelict body, to a condition fit for display in a museum, was completed by Winson Engineering of Penrhyndeudraeth, using a pair of bogies constructed form parts no longer fit for revenue service. The wheels and motion came from James Spooner and the frames were those originally built for Merddin Emrys but which had been used with this locomotive from 1932 to 1972. During the restoration the original name, Livingston Thompson, was restored to the locomotive. In October of that year the locomotive, hauled by its older brother Merddin Emrys enjoyed a last trip up the line from Porthmadog to Tan y Bwlch where a ceremony to hand it over, on long term loan, to the National Railway Museum, was performed. Since then LT has continued his FR service by advertising the railway to visitors to the NRM.
In 2004 Livingston Thompson returned to the FR to join the celebration of the Golden Jubilee of the FR Society and stayed on the line until April 2006, being wheeled out for a number of special events.
Principal stated dimensions
|Cylinders (4)||9" x 14"|
|Nominal wheel diameter||2' 8"|
|Boiler pressure||160 psi|
|Tractive effort||9,639 lb|