Brookes' Quarry

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group

The quarry now known as Brookes' Quarry was originally worked by the Syenite Sett Co, but was later reopened (about 1919) by Brookes Ltd of Lightcliffe, near Halifax, makers of 'Nonslip Stone' paving slabs and other roadmaking and building materials. A new junction was installed in the Festiniog Railway main line and quantities of granite were consigned to the LNWR yard at Blaenau Ffestiniog where a special tipping ramp was installed. The traffic was carried in converted slate wagons (see Granite Waggons) and also in military-surplus Bogie Waggons, which latter were believed to be FR property as they do not appear on an inventory of the quarry taken in 1927.

The quarry closed in the 1930s, and the site was cleared in 1952 by W. O Williams of Harlech, using Ruston 210955 to remove the scrap via the then-disused FR main line.

This location is now mainly under the Tanygrisiau reservoir (Llyn Ystradau). Nothing remains, but the location can be seen, in the distance, from the railway.


  • Leleux, S. A. (1972). Brookes' Industrial Railways. Locomotion Papers (63). Oakwood Press.

See also[edit]