Day Log/1881-03-31

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

On this day, Colonel Rich visited the Blaenau Ffestiniog area to inspect the layout of track. At this time the section from Dinas Junction to Glan y Pwll and beyond had been doubled to serve the interchange station at the Blaenau Ffestiniog LNWR station. The intention being to leave the old line for mineral and goods traffic.

He required various changes to pass the set-up for operation, including fitting out of the station - gravelling the platform area, a clock, waiting room, toilets, and ticket offices. Work was required on the level crossing gates at Glan-y-Pwll to ensure they did not open further out into the roadway. A complex change in the signalling system was also required..[1]

At this time he would not approve the works, but returned on the 8th of June


  1. ^ Johnson, Peter (2007). An Illustrated History of the Festiniog Railway. Hersham: Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 0-860936-03-1. OCLC 180463433. p57-58

See also[edit]