Day Log/1886-07-28

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search

On this day, there was a meeting between two Cambrian Railway directors and three FR Co. directors. The FR was represented by John Graves Livingston, Frederick Norman Hardy, and Thomas Plunkett Cairnes.

The Cambrian representatives thought that Portmadoc was 5d (2p) dearer than Deganwy. This was not down to the railway, but the harbour dues, tug dues, rent and taxes connected with the wharves and the actual shipping aspect. They thought the FR should make an effort to remove the difference, without changing the rail rates.

The Cambrian also thought that slate stored on the wharves, should be able to transport via the Cambrian/LNWR at no further charge.

The Cambrian also thought that if Croesor & Portmadoc Railway was improved, by making it fit for loco use, that might improve matters. This would have resulted in the closure of Minffordd and a consequntial loss to both companies. Apparently this hadn't been discussed by the full Cambrian board.

In response, the FR Co. agreed to make a 1d per ton towards rent provided the Tremadoc estate, and the tugboat operators made similar allowance. It also offered to reduce the Minffordd-Portmadoc transfer charge from 6d to 3½d, provided the Tremadoc Estate reduced its charges from 1s 2d to 1s. It confirmed the wharf haulage rate of 2d would stand. Spooner was instructed to send a copy of the resolution from the board, and to bring them to the attention of the Trmadoc Estate, and the tugboat proprietors, with a view to ascertain if they were willing to enter into the agreement that was proposed.[1]

These disussions went on. See here for next part


  1. ^ Johnson, Peter (2007). An Illustrated History of the Festiniog Railway. Hersham: Oxford Publishing Co. ISBN 0-860936-03-1. OCLC 180463433. p61

See also[edit]