Dinas Branch 1899
|Dinas Branch 1899|
The branch trackbed in 1967. Photo: Roger Marks
|Type||Former branch line|
|Status||Lifted, part relaid for carriage shed access|
|Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map|
- This article is about the later alignment of the Dinas Branch, for the original alignment see Dinas Branch 1836
In 1899 the Festiniog Railway's Dinas Branch was diverted onto a new alignment to allow tipping of slate waste over the old alignment. The new branch remained in use until the railway closed in 1946.
The original line (red on map) from Dinas Junction served well for over 60 years. However, towards the close of the century, the Oakeley Quarries were looking at extending their tipping facility. In order to facilitate this a new line (green on map) was built, well away from the old one and close to the LNWR standard gauge line (purple dashed on map). This new alignment left the main line near to Glan y Pwll yard where a new locomotive depot was built. At the same time the Afon Barlwyd was diverted to run alongside the curve of the new railway line.
The new alignment served until slate transport ceased in 1946.
The original track was lifted in the 1960s as part of a deal with local scrap merchant.
More recently a single track has been relaid as far as the first bridge (which had been demolished) to give access to a new carriage shed built at Glan y Pwll in 1997.
Glan-y-pwll area from incline. B is where old line is buried, C is site of new carriage shed, G is Glan-y-pwll level crossing, J is site of 1899 junction, L is site of Dinas station with road leading to it, M is missing bridge on 1899 alignment, present limit of headshunt for carriage shed, O is Old (1836)Glan-y-pwll (Dinas) Junction, S is LNWR station now disused. Date: unknown, probably 1970s. Photo: Patrick Marks edited by Jim Hewett
The branch looking towards Glan-y-Pwll from near Dinas Road LC during the removal of Glan-y-don slate tip. See location M on previous photo. Date:21/3/76. Photo: Jim Hewett
25 years later, and looking south from Gloddfa Ganol tip. The recently erected carriage shed is seen disgorging a rake of MoD flat waggons out from Glanypwll carriage shed. Moel Hebog waits on "6 road", the 1899 Dinas deviation, relaid to the abutments of the missing Afon Barlwyd bridge. On the left the LNWR Blaenau branch curves to Stesion Fein. Date: August 2001. Photo: Martin Wiseman, from the FR Volunteer site.