Bleasdale photograph of Dinas Station building, looking from the Portmadoc direction, 1887
|Type||Former terminus staion|
|Status||Closed, no trace remains|
|Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map|
- This article is about the original terminus of the FR in Blaenau Ffestiniog. For the NWNGR/WHR station see Dinas Junction
Dinas was the original 1836 terminus of the Festiniog Railway situated near the hamlet of Rhiwbryfdir. Originally the end of the mainline the line here was later downgraded to a branch after the opening of the line to Duffws.
In 1866 the FR opened the new branch line to Duffws, nearer to the centre of the town. Trains from Portmadoc alternated between the two stations, but Duffws was better sited for passenger traffic, so Dinas closed in 1870. Slate traffic to the Dinas station area nevertheless continued well into the 20th Century.
In 1899 the branch leading to the station was diverted to allow slate waste tipping on the original formation.
The station building here was an impressive stone construction combining the station offices and a two story locomotive shed. The engine shed long outlived the station, finally closing in 1900, when it was replaced by a new building at Glan y Pwll. The original shed housed the railway's Top Shunter.
The station was eventually covered by slate waste, under which it is now completely buried.
In 1872 the station staff were :-
- Henry (Thomas?) Cooke, Station Master
- Ellis Griffith, Oilman
- Thomas Manley, Wagon Inspector
- Job Owen, Demurrage, Clerk
- John Price, Signalman at junction
- Samuel Parkins, Shunting Driver
- John Griffith, Shunting Stoker
The station continued to be staffed (at a reduced level) until about 1900.
The Princess at Dinas
Date: c1878. Photo: Unknown
- Boyd 1975, p. 84.
- Stretton 1999, p. 76.
- Boyd 1975, pp.120, 136 & 156 and Plate 11R.
- Boyd 1988, p. 66.
- "Triangular junction: bear left for Dinas (FR), swing right for Duffws". Google.
- Richards 2001, p. 63.
- Scott-Morgan 1978, p. 63.
- Griffiths & Smith 1999, p. 194.
- Boyd 1975, Plate 6H.
- Mitchell & Smith 2010, Plate 69.
- Boyd 1975, p. 82.