|FR People | WHR People|
Samuel Parkins was born in Denby, Derbyshire in 1841. In 1861 he was employed as a mechanical apprentice, staying with his Aunt in Blackburn. He stated to the BOT inspector in 1901 that he had been employed as a driver for 30 years, but he cannot be placed in the 1871 census. However he married a local girl, Ann Thomas, in July 1872 and on the wedding certificate his profession at that time is given as driver.
In August 1872 he appears in a list of employees as as a shunting driver based at Dinas. In 1881 he was living in the station house at Dinas but by 1891 lived in Tyddyn Llwyn, Minffordd and in 1901 at Surveyors Place, Portmadoc.
He was the driver of the train which ran into The Boat in 1886. He was also recorded as the last driver of The Prince in 1891 before it was rebuilt. He was one of the drivers involved in the accident at Dinas Junction on 23rd July 1897. He was also the driver involved in Coed y Bleiddiau accident in October 1901. He was still driving in 1904 and died in January 1905.
His son William Parkins became a FR Station Master.