Template:Featured article/March 2015
Merddin Emrys is a Double Fairlie locomotive, the third such locomotive built for the Festiniog Railway, the suitability of the type having been proven in tests using Little Wonder. Merddin was built in the Festiniog Railway Company's own workshops at Boston Lodge in 1879 to the design of Percy Spooner and has spent its entire working life on the Festiniog Railway. When the railway closed in 1946 Merddin was the only double engine still available for service, Livingston Thompson having been withdrawn for repairs.
Merddin was returned to service in 1961 and converted to oil burning in 1973. In 2007, as part of the FR's fuel diversification process, the locomotive reverted to coal firing again.