Template:Featured picture/August 2009

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Railway Letter Service stamp issue 62

Tan y Bwlch was the principal passing station from its opening in July 1873 until it closed to passengers on 15th September 1939. Passenger service to Tan-y-Bwlch was resumed on 5th April 1958. Tan-y-Bwlch is 434ft above sea-level and 7 miles 35 chains from the modern zero point at Porthmadog.

This early photo of the station was taken between 1873 and 1875. Double Fairlie James Spooner in original condition is on a down train and one of the England engines is on the up train using the original water tank, complete with wooden cladding. The station building has a ticket window and on the right hand side is a Gentleman's toilet. In the distance can be seen the white painted wooden steps leading to the signal and top points. A replica of the double armed signal seen in this picture now stands in the car park.

Photo credit: uploaded by Chris Jones