Dolrhedyn Road Bridge

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Dolrhedyn Road Bridge
Type Bridge
Status In use
Route Navigator
← Prev Station Next Station →
Tanygrisiau Blaenau Ffestinog
← Prev Location Next Location →
Cwmorthin Quarry Incline Penlan
Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map

Dolrhedyn (Fern Meadow) Road Bridge is located just uphill of Tanygrisiau station. It is exceedingly low for road traffic and the steep road was for a long time the only road access to Dolrhedyn and Cwmorthin.

Prior to 1900 the Dolrhedyn road crossed the FR on the level. There were gates some distance from the track on either side of the crossing.

The original bridge was dismantled by the C.E.G.B. contractors in 1957 to allow high vehicles (i.e. dust carts & fire engines) to get to Cwmorthin Terrace. Later an abutment was demolished by the local authority.

When the rehabilitation of this section of track began in 1973 the base for operations was Glan y Pwll and new rails and sleepers were run down on a few wagons by gravity before the old track was lifted. The gap at the site of Dolrhedyn Bridge was the furthest that could be reached. Hence it was reported in FR magazine in 1975 that permanent track less ballast had been laid between Barlwyd & Dolrhedyn bridges.[1] The track from the Dolrhedyn Bridge gap to Tanygrisiau had been lifted by a Tadpoles working party in 1971.[2] (See Keith Catchpole for an explanation of "Tadpoles".)

Following the completion of an alternative road to Cwmorthin from the via the Stwlan Dam Road Crossing, a new deck was laid in 1979 at no cost to the FR, under a previous agreement by the council. However, it was built a foot too high and consequently there is now a small 'hump' here in the railway gradient.


  1. ^ "New Works Permanent Way", Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 70, page(s): 007
  2. ^ "News from the Line: Permanent Way", Ffestiniog Railway Magazine, Issue 54, page(s): 009

See also[edit]