Hafod Garregog

From Festipedia, hosted by the FR Heritage Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hafod Garregog
Type Level Crossing
Former halt
Status Closed
Crossing name Hafod Garregog Crossing
Operational No. LC52.40
Location
Latitude 52:58:15N
Longitude 4:05:06W
Grid reference SH600435
Route Navigator
← Prev Station Next Station →
Nantmor Pont Croesor
← Prev Location Next Location →
Pont Ynysferlas Ynysferlas
Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map

Coordinates: 52°58′15″N 4°05′06″W / 52.97087°N 4.08494°W / 52.97087; -4.08494

KCB 20080201 Ynysferlas.gif

Hafod Garregog (or Garegog in modern Welsh) (English: summer house in the stony place) is the site of a level crossing and former halt on the Welsh Highland Railway.

The house probably dates in part from the late fifteenth century. It was the home of Rhys Goch Eryri, a poet of late mediaeval days.

The comment in Boyd that "This was one of 3 very small halts between Nantmor and Croesor Junction (no more than 2 existing at any one time)." is invalid.

By examining the available information, satellite photos and old maps, the following has been established.

From Boyd's writing, there was an apparent unidentified temporary location known as Hafod Garregog. The length of time that the "temporary" existed must have been very short.

Given what has happened more recently with Beddgelert Forest Halt / Meillionen, this writer (KCB) contends both Ynysferlas, and the actual Hafod Garregog, were in fact the same location, the name change being effected before opening in June 1923. One suggestion has been made that the unidentified HG site, was in fact also the unused Hafod y Llyn (TWO) site)

At the site of Hafod Garregog Halt as shown on the older OS Maps (SH 601435), there are still two lengths of rail set vertically into the ground, which by analogy with other halts on the Old WHR, may well have been the uprights of a station notice board.

The three halts mentioned by Boyd are Hafod y Llyn (7m 10 ch from Rhyd-ddu), Hafod Garregog (7m 50ch) and Ynysferlas (8m 7ch), and they all appeared to be available at the opening in 1923. He also states that in July 1924 the middle one, the original or temporary Hafod Garregog, was closed and the name transferred to the former Ynysferlas. Certainly the 1930 1" OS map shows the two halts, but not the middle one. From the mileages quoted, the midddle one, the original Hafod Garregog, must have been close to the point now known as Hafod y Llyn (TWO).

It would be interesting to see if the 1923 timetable mentions all three halts.

The original Hafod Garregog had no amenities. The second Hafod Garregog, originally Ynysferlas, had a small shelter and a 40ft siding.


See also[edit]