Looking towards Porthmadog, 2013.
|Stations | Locations | Bridges | Tunnels | Map|
The halt serves the nearby hamlet of the same name. It is a pretty little hamlet, and has some fine gardens on view. It had existed during the first period of the WHR, 1923-1936, and was rebuilt for the current line, opening on 27 May 2010.
The Original Halt
There was a 40 foot stabling siding located here.
During original construction the road had to be diverted, and a gateless crossing with cattle guards constructed.
A corrugated iron shelter was provided and two old FR Ashbury carriages, shorn of their running gear, were put side-by-side under a corrugated iron, peaked, roof to comprise the goods warehouse. All had disappeared by 1948.
Whilst under Ffestiniog Railway control between 1934 and 1936 the station was renamed Aberglaslyn.
Although there were plans for a halt serving Nantmor when the re-building of the WHR was proposed, in 1997, they were dropped because of two local objections. Subsequently, on Friday and Saturday Feb 23/24 2007, a parish vote was held, and by a large majority (36 to 11), they agreed to ask for a halt to be located in the village. The plans were revived, and submitted to the Snowdonia National Park Authority on 18 July 2007.
Approval was granted on 06 Dec 2007. Construction, just downhill from the village road level crossing, was delayed until February 2010 due to lack of resources (funding and manpower) and was opened for service on 27 May 2010. The rebuilding was being funded by the Welsh Highland Railway Society including funds donated in memory of its member, Dr Ben Fisher of Bangor University.
The level crossing here, was initially labelled as "Level Crossing No. 2" on the TWA plans, and located at Ch 24910. During construction it was referred to as LC92. As completed, it is now referred to as LC 49.51.
Click here for some photos of the construction. A basic halt was provided, with a single short platform only capable of berthing two or three carriages. Because of the level crossing, and the layout, i.e. curvature of the track when on the run to Porthmadog, the engine will be out of sight of the halt in a cutting, therefore a white flashing light is provided for dispatch purposes at the 7, 9 and 10 car stop marks.
The waiting room is of the standard RhE design, and has gates to keep sheep out.
There are no parking facilities on the station site. The nearest car park is owned by the National Trust, approximately quarter of a mile away. To reach the car park, walk down the lane to the main road, turn right and the car park - plainly marked - is 100yds/m on the right. There are toilets in this car park.
The walk from the car park to the station involves a steepish climb which feels more than the advertised 50ft (17m).
For general details see here
The halt is accessed from the minor road through the village. There is no parking facility at the halt and the road slopes steeply at this point. Passengers wishing to alight at Nantmor should do so by prior request to the guard. Although the platform itself is accessible, there are no facilities other than a small shelter at or near to this location so it is recommended for use by able-bodied walkers only.
Trains will not normally stop here, as this location is classed as a halt, and not a scheduled stop. Passengers are asked to notify the guard, as soon as possible, if they wish to alight at this location.
Intending passengers, from here, are requested to hold out your hand so the driver can see you. The driver will often give a short "toot" to acknowledge he has seen you.